Sunday, August 17, 2014

Talking Points with my Family

I've been thinking a lot about talking points since #TMC14 and our #gwwg14 morning session.  Somehow I started wondering about what it would look like it a family setting.  So, I decided to try it!  It was a little like pulling teeth to get my 12-year-old on board today, but with him, myself,  and my husband we made a good group of 3 to try it out.

We started by going through the instructions and then started with "talking about talking".  Here are some of my observations:
  • My 12-year-old's "becauses" were generally restatements of the statement
  • My husband and I tended to agree
  • Rarely did anyone change his/her mind
  • We made it through about as many as I did with my peers at TMC
  • I really wanted to convince them to think like me
  • The 10 minutes went fast and everyone seemed willing to try more in about a week...even wanting to work on the same page
  • We only came to a full consensus on one talking point
I'm trying to not evaluate these observations at this time, but I am trying to get rid of my attitude about wanting to change other peoples minds/attitudes.  If they are willing to try again, then I guess we will just see where this takes us.

-Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment