Friday, July 10, 2015

Thoughts about Reflection

I've been working on a task for my students for the beginning of next year, and I'm stuck deciding between two different types of reflection questions for them to complete afterwards.  Essentially they will be answering some Talking Points-style questions in their groups.  I'm stuck between asking them:

  • Which are you most confident about?  Why?
  • Which are you least confident about?  Why?
OR
  • Which was the easiest to make a decision about?  Why?
  • Which was the most difficult to make a decision about?  Why?
While I think it is over-kill to ask all four questions, and it is unlikely that my students would recognize the minor differences between the questions if posed all four, I feel it is likely I would get different responses depending on which questions I pose.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe not.  What do you think?

I think my goals from the reflection are:
  • To help students see the value in the Talking Points structure
  • To help students think about their learning
  • To help me see what my students do and do not understand

Other reflection questions I plan to ask:
  • How easy or difficult was it to follow the talking points structure?
  • What is one benefit you saw to using the talking points structure?  One disadvantage?
  • What is one thing you learned?  What is one question you still have?

What do you think?  Which set of questions will best help me meet the goals of the reflection when paired with my other questions?  Should I do a combination of the pairs (one from each), if so which ones should I pick?  Are my other reflection questions posed in a way that will help me meet the goals of the reflection?

-Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment