Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Algebra 1 Units, Learning Targets, Pacing, and Reporting Standards

I finally got to spend some quality time in my classroom this afternoon.  It was just a couple hours, but I felt SO productive.  After cleaning my group whiteboards with WD40, I set out to rearranging units, learning targets, and a pacing calendar.

Before

After
[Sorry, the pictures are not that great.]

Reporting Standards

One of the things that is new for me this year is that my school is moving forward with standards based grading.  We have written "reporting standards" for one class (I chose Algebra 1), and students will receive a report card with those 4-8 standards on it for each class.  So I thought about which reporting standards connect with each unit, which I'll share below as well.

Here are the reporting standards:
  • Organize numbers, quantities, and units to solve problems (NQ)
    • Numbers and Units; Exponents and Radicals
  • Rewrite expressions to solve problems (SSE)
    • Expressions and Equations; Polynomials; Quadratic Equations; Quadratic Functions
  • Rewrite and evaluate exponential and radical expressions (ER)
    • Exponents and Radicals; Polynomials; Quadratic Equations
  • Create equations and use them to solve problems (CRE)
    • Expressions and Equations; Linear Functions; Exponential Functions
  • Build and interpret functions in multiple forms (IBF)
    • Functions; Sequences; Linear Functions; Exponential Functions; Quadratic Functions
  • Identify and compare linear and exponential relationships (LER)
    • Linear Functions; Exponential Functions; Sequences
  • Organize and analyze categorical and quantitative data (SID)
    • Linear Functions; Exponential Functions; Quadratic Functions
  • Approach problem solving as a mathematician (SMP)
    • ALL!
I'm sticking with my goal of integrating the statistics throughout multiple units, and I've written my learning targets in a way that I think will allow that to work well.  I will probably not test over statistics, but there will be various ways of assessing statistical analysis.

Units and Learning Targets

Unit 0:  Numbers and Units (08.24-09.11)
I can identify and justify number order and equivalencies.
I can simplify numerical expressions by following the order of operations.
I can convert units.

Unit 1:  Expressions and Equations (09.14-10.02)
I can identify and create equivalent algebraic expressions.
I can evaluate algebraic expressions for the given value(s) of the variable(s).
I can solve one-variable linear equations.
I can rearrange multi-variable linear equations for a given variable.

Unit 2:  Systems of Equations (10.05-10.30)
I can state whether or not give values for the variables represent a solution to a system of equations.
I can estimate a solution to a system graphically.
I can estimation a solution to a system numerically.
I can solve a system algebraically.

Unit 3:  Functions (11.02-11.20)
I can find the domain and range of a relation.
I can determine and justify if a relation is a function.
I can use function notation to describe, evaluate, and graph a function.*

Unit 4:  Linear Functions (11.23-12.17)
I can determine and justify if a function is linear.*
I can find the slope and y-intercept given a linear function.*
I can graph a linear function.*
I can define an explicit function to model a given situation.*
I can interpret the meaning of the slope and y-intercept of a function used to model a situation.*

Unit 5:  Exponential Functions (01.05-01.29)
I can determine and justify if a function is exponential.*
I can find the base and y-intercept given an exponential function.*
I can graph an exponential function.*
I can define an explicit function to model a given situation.*
I can interpret the meaning of the base and y-intercept of a function used to model a situation.*

Unit 6:  Sequences (02.01-02.12)
I can identify if a sequence is arithmetic, geometric, or neither.
I can describe a sequence recursively.
I can describe a sequence explicitly.

Unit 7:  Exponents and Radicals (02.15-03.04)
I can evaluate exponents and radicals.
I can simplify exponential expressions.
I can simplify radical expressions.

Unit 8:  Polynomial Operations (03.07-03.25)
I can identify the degree of a polynomial.
I can add and subtract polynomials.
I can multiply polynomials.
I can factor polynomials.

Unit 9:  Quadratic Equations (03.28-04.15)
I can solve a quadratic equation by factoring.
I can solve a quadratic equation by using the square root.
I can solve a quadratic equation by the quadratic formula.
I can determine which of the above methods is most effective for a given function.

Unit 10:  Quadratic Functions (04.18-05.13)
I can determine and justify if a function is quadratic.*
I can translate between standard, vertex, and factored form of a quadratic function.
I can find the zeros, vertex, and line of symmetry of a quadratic function.*
I can sketch a graph of a quadratic function.*

*Learning target includes statistical component

Notes:
  • The dates are an approximate for pacing, so NO, I will not end every unit on a Friday
  • I think I left a week open at the end of the year, which is good, because I didn't count holidays or long weekends when setting this out
  • It will change; I'm sure; it always does
  • Homework will be the same as last year
  • I want to have finals at the end of each semester be 7 sections, one for each reporting standard
  • I think this came out to 42 learning targets.  I heard once that 30 was what you should aim for...so I'm a little higher than that, but I guess paring it down is a goal for next year!
Well, that's a summary of my work from today!  I hope you can use it in some way!  If you have questions, please ask via comment here or twitter (@kathrynfreed), especially if you have an idea that can possibly make some part of this better.

-Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment